These tender Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes are a perfect side dish or snack for a busy weekday and the best way to cook sweet potato quickly! Crispy on the outside, tender on the inside, and just the right ratio of spices to add flavor without overpowering the natural sweetness of the potato.
You’ll have a nourishing treat ready in just 15 minutes– way less time than they take to roast in the oven!
Air Fryer Sweet Potatoes are great to serve any time of year, but sweet potatoes are at their most flavorful in the fall and winter months. The seasonings in this recipe are perfect for savory sweet potatoes. But if you like them with seasoning that give a sweeter flavor, I included ideas for you below so don't miss that!
Some of my favorite ways to eat sweet potato chunks are on top of a Beet and Arugula Salad with Goat Cheese or in place of french fries with a turkey burger. Or have them in the morning! They’re also an easy side dish to have with copycat Starbucks Egg White Bites or in scrambled eggs. You can even eat them by themselves as a healthy snack!
- Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Ingredients in Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Instructions for Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cube Variations
- Meal Prep and Storage for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- Top tip
- LOOKING FOR NUTRITION EDUCATION?
- 📖 Recipe
- 💬 Comments
Why You’ll Love Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
EASY- they are super simple to make-- maybe even the easiest way to make this great side dish. All that is required is to chop the sweet potato and mix it with some spices before popping it in the air fryer. You don’t even need a baking sheet. Just your air fryer, a cutting board, sharp knife and large mixing bowl!
SIMPLE INGREDIENTS- sweet potatoes, olive oil, and a savory spice blend is all you need.
CUSTOMIZABLE - you can easily customize this recipe by changing up the spices!
NUTRITION - one of my favorite things about diced sweet potatoes is the nutrition they provide. Sweet potatoes are a complex carbohydrate. This means they contain fiber, an important nutrient to support a healthy gut. They have more Vitamin A than regular potatoes (white potatoes) which is important for your vision and eye health. And they contain Vitamin C, an important nutrient to support your immune system!
QUICK - air frying is the fastest way to make a sweet potato cubes recipe. It takes half the time as making them in the oven which requires long cooking times. AND it takes way less time to pre-heat. What will you do with all that extra time?!
CRISPY - air fryer sweet potato cubes are my favorite shape to air fry them. I prefer cubes instead of sweet potato wedges or sweet potato fries because the smaller pieces get more crispy in the air fryer with very little oil.
Ingredients in Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
Just a few simple ingredients is all you need for this healthy side dish!
*Be sure to check the recipe card at the bottom for exact ingredient measurements, right amount of seasoning, and full recipe.
SWEET POTATO: Did you know there are hundreds of sweet potato varieties? It’s up to you what kind you use. I chose the variety with orange flesh because it is my preference and the easiest to find at the grocery store in my area.
An easy way to select a good sweet potato at the grocery store is to choose ones that are firm. For this recipe, you'll use a large sweet potato. You can double the recipe or even triple it if you are feeding more people.
When you get home, store your sweet potatoes in a dry place. According to the US Sweet Potato Council, storing them in the fridge can give them an unpleasant taste.
EXTRA VIRGIN OLIVE OIL: oil is essential for an end product that is crispy and not dry. You can use avocado oil if you prefer, but I like the robust flavor of olive oil with sweet potatoes. Just a tablespoon of olive oil is all you need!
SPICES: I use garlic powder, paprika, and salt in this recipe. You can follow my recipe or change it up by using your own favorite combination of spices!
Instructions for Air Fryer Roasted Sweet Potatoes
Below are the steps for making air fryer sweet potatoes with photos to show you the steps. The complete recipe directions are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post!
Step 1: Wash and peel your sweet potato. Then, cut it into 1 or 2-inch cubes.
Step 2: In a large bowl, mix the sweet potato cubes with the olive oil and spices until well coated.
Step 3: Preheat your air fryer to 390℉ or 400℉ for a couple of minutes Then, add your sweet potato cubes to the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for 8-12 minutes, giving them a good shake about 5 minutes through. Cook time may vary slightly depending on your air fryer.
Optional: top with sea salt and fresh parsley.
Hint: you may need to cook the sweet potatoes in batches in order to make sure they aren't piled on top of each other. Spreading them in a single layer allows the air fryer to circulate hot air and get the crispy texture you are looking for.
- Oil: feel free to replace the olive oil with your favorite cooking oil. Avocado oil is another one I like to use.
- Sweet potato: you can use frozen sweet potato for this recipe too. If using frozen, air fry them for 5 minutes at 390℉ or 400℉ to let them thaw. Then transfer them to a bowl, add the oil and spices and cook them for 10-12 more minutes in the air fryer.
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cube Variations
You can create several variations of this recipe using different pantry staple seasonings! Below are just some ideas. The main thing is to choose spices that you enjoy! 🙂
- Simple: all you need is salt and black pepper for the easiest sweet potato seasoning.
- Spicy: make it spicy with some chili powder, red pepper flakes, or cayenne pepper.
- Sweet: add sweetness by using honey or maple syrup, brown sugar, and cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice.
- Savory: onion powder, oregano, or Italian seasoning are great options.
- Zesty: use a squeeze of fresh lemon and thyme or cardamom for some extra zest.
You'll need an air fryer for this recipe! I used the Ninja AF101 which is 5 quart capacity and perfect for small recipes. The Ninja DZ401 is great for a larger two-basket option. If you prefer a different brand, I recommend the COSORI Pro III or the slightly smaller 5 quart COSORI Pro LE.
Meal Prep and Storage for Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
You can prep the potatoes in advance by dicing them and storing them in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to make them!
Refrigerator: after cooking, store leftovers in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
These air roasted sweet potatoes are the best when eaten fresh! I suggest serving them as close to when they finish cooking as possible.
Absolutely! Sweet potatoes are a complex carbohydrate and a good source of fiber, and several nutrients including Vitamin A, Vitamin C, and potassium.
You can certainly make roasted sweet potatoes in the oven but they will take double the time to cook. If using the oven, preheat to 425℉ and place the diced sweet potato on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and sprayed with a cooking oil. Roast in the oven for 25-35 minutes, checking halfway through.
For sure! If using frozen, air fry them for 5 minutes at 390℉ or 400℉ to let them thaw. Then transfer them to a bowl, add the oil and spices and cook them for 10-12 more minutes in the air fryer.
Looking for other nourishing recipes? Try these:
LOOKING FOR NUTRITION EDUCATION?
Here are some of my educational posts you may enjoy:
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do! I would love to hear from you! If you made this recipe, please leave me a review below or tag me in a photo or story on Instagram....I LOVE knowing there’s people out there trying out my recipes! 🙂 IG: @mallorythedietitian
Air Fryer Sweet Potato Cubes
- 1 large sweet potato (around 180 grams)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- sprig fresh parsley (optional)
- Wash and peel your sweet potato. Then, cut it into 1 or 2-inch cubes.
- In a large bowl, mix the sweet potato cubes with the olive oil and spices until well coated.
- Preheat your air fryer to 390℉ or 400℉ for a couple of minutes Then, add your sweet potato cubes to the air fryer basket in a single layer. Air fry for 8-12 minutes, giving them a good shake about 5 minutes through. Cook time may vary slightly depending on your air fryer.
- Optional: top with fresh parsley and sea salt
- You can easily double this recipe if needed!
- Be sure to cook these in batches if needed. The important thing is to cook them in a single layer in your air fryer.
- I don’t recommend skipping the 2 minutes of pre-heating for this one. For best results, be sure and pre-heat your air fryer.
- Shake the sweet potato cubes in the air fryer at the halfway mark (around 6 minutes)
- Eat these immediately for best results!
References: Diabetes Food Hub